Annual Youth Speech Contest
Calling all Bay Area high schoolers! The Rotary eClub of Silicon Valley is looking for participants in our annual Rotary 4-Way Test Speech Contest. This is the perfect opportunity to build your public speaking skills, and win a cash prize!
The tentative date for our club’s speech contest is Saturday, February 10 at 3PM. Because we are an eClub, it won’t be a traditional Rotary meeting; we are still working out the logistics of how we’re going to hold it and where, but fill out the interest form below, and we will contact you with the exact location. Last year, it was held at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Library on the San Jose State University campus; it’s likely that it will be held there again.
The first place winner will receive $100 and move onto the Area level speech contest which will take place on Wednesday, March 14 at 12PMnoon in Cupertino; the second place winner will receive $50; and the third place winner will receive $25.
The guidelines for speeches are as follows:
- You may choose any topic of interest, as long as the content of your speech relates to the theme; all speeches must address the 2017-18 Rotary theme, “Rotary: Making a Difference” and include a reference to at least one principle of The 4-Way Test. (1. Is it the truth? 2. Is it fair to all concerned? 3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships? 4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?) The use of the theme and 4-Way Test principle should be clear and unmistakable.
- The speech must be your original work (but you can seek guidance from others, including classmates, mentors, or Rotarians who have had experience with giving and writing speeches).
- The speech cannot be under 4 minutes or more than 5 minutes in length. Timing begins once you first speak.
- There shall be NO implicit or explicit identification of yourself or your school in the content or title of your speech, by your attire, or any other means.
- There are NO props, displays, or prompters of any kind. Notes may be used if they are on one 3″ x 5″ card.
If you have already participated or are already signed up for another Rotary club’s speech contest this year, you may NOT participate with our club.